Monday, August 9, 2010

Inflicting my taste on the world at large

Hi.

I recently joined a community on Livejournal where vegetarians share their recipes with each other and shoot the breeze, and I have been thinking about sharing some of my culinary forays with my fellows there. I have also been meaning to commit to paper some of my efforts for my own reference, but since I can type much faster than I can write longhand, it seemed like a good idea to set up a blog for the purpose.

I am extremely busy, I work most days and I have an almost two year old, so my entries will probably be sporadic.

I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years, I made the switch for mainly fluffy animal reasons, but also for health reasons, and if I am honest, I made a bet with my then boyfriend that I couldn't do it. (Obviously, I could...!)

I am a BIG fan of Quorn products, and use a lot of them in my cooking. I know some people are averse to using meat replacement products for their own ethical reasons, but here's why I like them:

- They make it easy for people transitioning to a vegetarian diet to grow accustomed to life without meat
- They make it possible to enjoy in a sentimental way foods that a vegetarian might have enjoyed when they were a meat eater, and subsequently lusted after, without falling off the vegetarian wagon.
- They make it simple to keep up the protein levels.
- I like the taste of them.
- I am quite lazy when cooking, as I am often trying to cook for my meat eating partner and child at the same time as preparing something vegetarian for myself, and the 'ready meal' versions are sometimes just the ticket.

Many of the dishes I post here will be of the basic week night dinner type. Some of them will most likely be the kind of thing that you could wing by yourself, if you had even the smallest knowledge of cookery. But you can be sure that if it makes it here, it has been tried and eaten (probably lots of times!) and it's a reliable recipe.

So, here we go, eh?

1 comment: